[ubuntu-za] Home network implementations (Phase 1)

Vijay Makanjee vijay at ergo.co.za
Tue Jun 30 09:32:40 BST 2009

Wikus Cornelius wrote, On 30/06/2009 10:16:
> Greetings,
>
> I have started with a new Ubuntu mission and I need some help
>
> Background: I live with 3 other people sharing the same ADSL connection.
> I pay for the majority of the bandwidth because I use the most
> (bandwidth is not monitored). The other 3 people use Windows and lately
> their usage have increased dramatically due to automatic updates started
> by installed applications on their PCs and processes uploading huge
> amounts of data (spy ware or whatever). They are not capable of managing
> these things and I have volunteered to install Ubuntu for them alongside
> their Windows installation. The idea is that they use Windows for gaming
> and Ubuntu for almost everything else. My Linux skills are limited, but
> this will give me an opportunity to learn.
>
> What we have at the moment:
> ADLS router and everyone is directly connected to the router.
>
> I am planning to implement the improvements in phases and I will post my
> questions accordingly. I can only work on this over weekends.
>
> Questions for the first phase:
> 1. For a start I want to use the server only for routing with no
> control. I have an idea how to do the routing (previous question on
> Ubuntu-za), but it seems to be gone after a reboot. Which file do I have
> to edit to add the routing configuration automatically when the server boot?
I am assuming you are going to set up another machine as server, or use
your own one. Not sure about the technical answers. However I am using
my desktop as a server (for me to learn..) and other machines update via
that using apt-cacher-ng almost as proxy.

> 2. Is there a tool that I can use to change the size of the partitions
> on the PCs (before installation) to create space for the Ubuntu
> installations? I know about Partition Magic, but it is not free.
Your ubuntu should recognise the MS stuff and offer to partition. Backup!!

> 3. I am going to install the same applications and updates on all the
> machines, but I want to download it only once. How do I do that?
Use something like apt-cacher-ng or other tool.

> 4. I want to block the Windows installations from accessing the internet
> (probably in later phase, but please share your ideas on this)
probably set up via a firewall and ip addresses. not too sure.

> 5. One of the guys on the network is interested in home video editing.
> Is there an editing system for Ubuntu that you can suggest?
>
> I do not expect explanations, just pointers. Any ideas, suggestions or
> advice are welcome. The above will keep me busy for this weekend
> (configure and install 3 Ubuntu PCs and 1 server/router + required
> research).
>
> Thank you,
>
> Wikus

good luck