[ubuntu-za] Skype, Ubuntu, Weekend

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 28 17:36:39 GMT 2009

Hi David

David Robert Lewis wrote:
> 2. Proxy setting. Funny bug this one - I have proxy service at Openweb,
> which is great for browsing, and I can set the Network proxy but, what
> happend to the verification box, surely not all proxy's are free?
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/fta/ubuntu/pool/main/n/nss/libnss3-0d_3.12.2~rc1-0ubuntu2~fta1~hardy_amd64.deb
>   407 Proxy Authentication Required

Type "echo $http_proxy". What do you get? When you set it in "Network
proxy" it should set that.

> 3. Implementing bug control on this list: Since, Ubuntu is us, how do we
> go about the fixing Network Proxy app, and keeping track of the
> community modifications, for example, the Pulse Audio problem?

The bug traffic would be way too much for a generic list like this.
Everyone is of course welcome to subscribe to the individual lists at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/#Bug+Lists

> 4. Wiki (as above) I don't see much up at the Wiki. Would be nice to
> have a local Bugs list, things that Bug us in ZA, as opposed to the rest
> of the World. Then we could actually implement the ZA-Buntu proposal in
> a meaningful way.

Yes, the wiki needs a *lot* of work.

> 5. Underlying Metaphor of Ubuntu: to reiterate on a theme on which I
> emailed morgan, the quibbles I have with Ubuntu from a design point of
> view is that it's way too terminal-focused (a problem with most Linux
> distro's) the trick is to see if we can map the SUI (Semantic User
> Interface) to the GUI (Graphical User Interface), in a meaningful way so
> that children (and women) will be able to relate.

I know of lots of work that has gone into improving usability for kids,
but is there really any research done that shows that woman require a
different interface? I think it would be interesting if you could link
to such data.

-Jonathan