[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu Linux virus?

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Tue Aug 18 22:48:13 BST 2009

Quintin Beukes wrote:
> Might be a bit of an old post, but I was just curious if you fixed
> your problem? I assume so from your last post.
>
> I agree that it's probably a broken mouse. When I lift up my optical
> mouse slightly it starts jumping around like that, and I have found
> crazy clicking and such when 2 mouse inputs conflict (like a
> stylus/pen mouse, together with a touch screen and a USB mouse). They
> don't like each other, especially not 2 separate drivers for getting a
> pen + touch screen.

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 8:30 AM, frans <dormakorp at vodamail.co.za
> <mailto:dormakorp at vodamail.co.za>> wrote:
>
>     In our office we see that a lot, especialy when the mouse cable was
>     streched to far, the result is
>     a short circut, which do stuff like that,  replacing the mouse solves
>     the problem, also rather consider
>     genius or logitech, we have less problems with those.
>

>     David Robert Lewis wrote:
>     > Not sure what to make of this weird behaviour.
>     >
>     > Mouse is acting very strangely, spazzes out, jumps around starts to
>     > click on things. I even get logged out of my session.
>     >
>     > Started doing this a couple of days ago, and then just froze up.
>     >
>     > I fixed the freeze by unloading psmouse (sudo modprobe -r psmouse)
>     >
>     > and then reloading it.
>     >
>     > Then I figured it might be the versioning, and I reloaded by
>     stripping
>     > out the version info
>     >
>     > sudo modprobe -f psmouse
>     >
>     > This worked, unfroze but now mouse is back to its old tricks.
>     >
>     > It feels like a hack attack, or some kind of virus?
>     >
>     > Alternatively could be something to do with java and xulrunner,
>     because
>     > it happens only when I have a browser open?
>     >
>     > Any ideas?
>     >
>     >

>     --

> Quintin Beukes
Hi Quintin,

The problem has gone away. I replaced the mouse, killed the virus,
capitulated to the hackers, waved the voodoo charm around in the air,
swung a dead cat above my head,  drank the foul smelling potion of a
badass warlock, threatened the commisar in charge with a switch to
mandrake or mandriva and bought a yellow dog spotted hat from a second
hand store. Ubuntu is working fine for me and never been finer. I am
however studying-up totally rad security methods by Elvis Kristy and how
to build a Linux virus in five easy steps, by A Fink. The next time
anybody flames me for a obvious space-time anomaly I will personally
inform the Cylons, Klingos, Leprechauns and Space Monkeys that the
Jabberwok is broken and will never be fixed. Sorry, I got this message
at about 23:45 in the evening. I am watching Battlestar Galactica, the
new series.

-DRL

--
888          8 8