[ubuntu-za] Disk problem

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Thu Aug 13 14:56:42 BST 2009

Yusuf Mitha wrote:
> A friend of mine has the following problem:
>

>  > When i tried booting up yesterday, it began to do a drive check due to an
>  > "Unclean shutdown".
>  >
>  > Eventually, the disk search failed and it gave the ffing. messages:
>  >
>  > idev/sidal: Unexpected Inconsistency, check fsck manually (i.e
> without a or
>  > p option) fsck died with exit status 4
>  >
>  > * An automatic file system check (fsck) for the root file system
> failed. A
>  > manual fsck should be performed in maintenance mode with the root file
>  > system mounted in read only mode
>  >
>  > * The root file system is currently mounted in read only mode. A
>  > maintenance shell will now be started. After performing system
> maintenance,
>  > press Cntrol D to restart the system.
>  >
>  > bash: No job control in this shell
>  > root at dawj-desktop: ~#
>  >
>  > When i press Control D, it says " maintenance system failed" then shuts
>  > down and restarts with checking the drives and repeating the above error
>  > message.
>

> Any Idea what to do?

Welcom to a corrupt HD.  The official way would be to run 'fsck
/dev/sidal' (Is that right?  I have seen /dev/sda or /dev/hda, but never
/dev/sidal  What drives does he have?) and to answer "yes" to everything.

Or you can break the rules and run 'fsck /dev/sidal -y' and let it run
while you get a drink.

			Lee