[ubuntu-za] acer WLAN driver problems

Quintin van Rooyen quintin.vanrooyen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 15:37:30 BST 2009

2009/8/11 Daniel Auger <elastoplast07 at gmail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> I have installed ubuntu on my Acer Aspire 5610Z and I can't get the WLAN to
> work. Under the drivers section Ubuntu has installed *support for Atheros
> 802.11 wireless LAN cards*. I dont know if thats the card i have or not
> but it doesnt work. Also if I try add a wireless connection under *network
> connections* It deativates the OK button so I cant save any settings which
> is weird.
>
> I've looked through some of the forums but unfortunately to be honest I
> dont fully understand the solutions posted. For example a lot of them
> require me to download stuff using get_apt or wget which obviuosly dont work
> because I cant connect.
>
> Any help will be appreciated but please try make it simple as I'm quite new
> to linux.
>
> Thanks

Hi Daniel.

What version of Ubuntu do you have on your Acer? I recently installed Ubuntu
Netbook Remix on an AspireOne for a client and it worked perfectly.

Maybe you should try that. Since the Netbook remix is a largish ISO I could
provide you with it if you are in Pretoria. I will also be glad to help you
install, since netbook remix involves making a bootable USB drive and
booting from that.

(Now I just have to make double sure that I have the ISO on my home comp...
teehee I think I do.)

Quintin van Rooyen
0824772477
quintin.vanrooyen at gmail.com