[ubuntu-za] upgrade or not

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 22 20:24:39 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 16:05, Vijay Makanjee <vijay at ergo.co.za> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 15:33, Craig Paterson <craigp at agilisto.com> wrote:
>  >> I've been fighting the urge to upgrade for the last 2 weeks...
>  >
> Morgan Collett wrote:
>  > Fetching file 1659 of 1741
>

> watching closely. reportback expected.
>
> Also please let us know the specs of the machine you load on.

It took 3 hours to fetch the updates and apply them. I had one issue,
a package that wouldn't upgrade, which happens to be a package that
I'm maintaining (python-hulahop), so that was kind of perfect
feedback.

I'm running on a sony vaio s460 with 2GB RAM.

Sound works, even - are you sitting down? - sound from the flash
plugin and other apps simultaneously!

My Creative VF0400 webcam which only worked on Windows before, now
works out of the box with Cheese, although the picture is a bit green.
Perhaps that's just because of the bad light in the room at the moment
- I'll try in daylight tomorrow.

Otherwise, basically things look similar, slight tweaks to icons and
visual things. Firefox 3.0.3, still openOffice 2.4,

Compiz still doesn't work on my laptop despite its nvidious GPU.

There have been over 300MB of updates (to be downloaded) since the
Beta for a default install. There should be a Release Candidate out
tomorrow.

Regards
Morgan