[ubuntu-za] Introduction (not a user guide)

Neil Manson neil.manson at infotech.monash.edu
Wed May 7 20:27:50 BST 2008

Hello Everyone

Good idea Péter. I am also new to the ubuntu-za community, so I will
follow your example and introduce myself.

I am a mechanical engineer by training, but now lecturing at the School
of IT at Monash University in Roodepoort. I teach Computer Models for
Business Decisions, Data Mining, and Data Structures and Algorithms. I
have  also taught Web Programming and Visual Basic (some years ago).

I have been a keen user of open source on Windows (OpenOffice, Firefox,
Thunderbird, Nvu) for a number of years. Nearly 3 years ago I had the
opportunity to attend a course on Linux for Scientists at the African
Institute for Mathematical Sciences, where I installed Ubuntu 5.04 Hoary
Hedgehog, and I haven't looked back since.

I decided to get a bit more involved just before 8.04 was released, so I
looked around for an 8.04 release party, and found the ubuntu-za mailing
list and IRC channel, and the release party. Thank Jonathan, Simone and
everyone else that organised the release party.

Looking forward to being involved in the future.

Cheers,
  Neil

--
Neil Manson