[ubuntu-za] [Education] Introduction

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 6 18:56:47 GMT 2008

Hi, I'm Morgan Collett.

My involvement with education at this stage is that I'm a developer on
the One Laptop Per Child project, working mainly on the collaboration
stack for Sugar, but also on a couple of the activities for the XO.

While the OLPC distro is based on Fedora, not Ubuntu, the Sugar stack
and related software is being packaged for Ubuntu (hardy) by Jani
Monoses, and I plan to get involved with MOTU packaging through this.

Very exciting news is that we will have two deployments in South
Africa of 100 XOs each, in Soweto and Cape Town - a drop in the ocean
but it will raise awareness of Free Software in Education.

I'm very excited about the potential for Ubuntu (Edubuntu) for
education - not just as lower-cost software that makes IT more
affordable for all schools, but because of the freedoms in Free
Software (see http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html).

OK, now your turn... :)

Regards
Morgan