[ubuntu-za] (no subject)

William Kinghorn williamk at dut.ac.za
Fri Dec 12 10:45:12 GMT 2008

Thanks Hilton, will try this

William Kinghorn wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have 11 PCs, installed Ubuntu 8.10, I have installed a lot of
> education packages, I want to install the same packages onto the other
> 10.
>
> I know that there is a command to create a text file of the packages,
> then copy the file to the other computers, and install from that file,
> but I can't remember which list I belong to which had an e-mail about
> how to do this.
>
> Can someone please give me the 2 commands, one to create the file on
the
> first PC, two to install the packages onto the other PCs .

To get the list;
dpkg --get-selections > installed.txt

Copy "installed.txt" to the /tmp folder on the other PC's.

On the other PC's type;
dpkg --set-selections < /tmp/installed.txt

Then run aptitude or synaptic and use the mark as selected function. Not
too sure about this. Maybe somebody else can help with that.

Cheers