[ubuntu-za] Update library?

Trevor Hughes linux at thewildfig.co.za
Mon Dec 1 14:59:30 GMT 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 4:26 PM,  <barnettrj at rucus.net> wrote:
> I have experimented with a number of applications such as apt-cacher
> and in the end we use apt-proxy as a better alternative. We use it in
> a fairly stable environment to update 100s of (K/X)Ubuntu machines,
> often having different requirements.

Its not the first time I have heard someone say they prefer apt-proxy
over apt-cacher.

I have used both - first apt-proxy which I had going for a while and
then it stopped working for whatever reason. I could not get back on
track so tried apt-cacher which I found to be a lot easier and has
worked for me and my three/four machine network and my brothers two
machine network.

I realise you are talking much bigger networks but what was it about
apt-cacher that was not as good as apt-proxy.

Being what I call a medium user  ie not an expert but not a noob and
loving the command line when I bother to read man pages and research
it - so from my point of view apt-cacher was much easier and has
worked flawlessly - I have done such stuff as installing it and then
adding all the already downloaded debs to the cache - transferring the
debs from the cache to DVD and then to another network and reimporting
them in the apt-cacher cache - clearing out all the old versions to
save disk space - and it has all just worked. - I have been using up
to three different Ubuntu versions at the same time and no problem.

My advice to the original poster would be to try out apt-cacher as he
seems to be doing and see if it lives up to his expectations before
trying apt-proxy

Good luck Alex and let us know how it goes

Trev