[ubuntu-za] Fwd: Request for translation help

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 13 18:37:42 BST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alan Pope <alan at popey.com>
Date: Sep 13, 2007 5:59 PM
Subject: Request for translation help
To: "Ubuntu local community team (LoCo) contacts"
<loco-contacts at lists.ubuntu.com>

Hi,

This is a call for help to _all_ LoCo teams to help us to achieve the
following tasks:-

* Translate some screencasts
* Help us build a better process for managing the translation of
screencasts

later-

* Create audio dubs of screencasts

The screencast team has created a few screencasts. Some people have
started creating subtitles (captions) and work is ongoing to translate
these to other languages.

We hope to achieve two goals with this, accessibility for those who
can't hear the audio track, and internationalisation for those who don't
understand English (or my 'non-international-English' accent ;).

Work has already begun. We have quite a few already transcribed in
English - which makes the translation to other languages easier (so I
understand). The efforts made so far can be found here:-

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScreencastTeam/TranslationStatus

We have some information about subtitling being created on the following
page:-

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScreenCasts/Subtitles

I recently posted a status and call for help on the ubuntu screencasts
mailing list:-

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-screencasts/2007-September/000051.html

Which goes into much more detail.

Please also see:-

http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/Subtitle_Usage

Please let us know on the screencasts mailing list, or by maintaining
the TranslationStatus page linked above if you'd like to help us.

In addition to all this we would also like to get audio "dubs" of
screencasts, but appreciate this is harder for some people to achieve,
so I think that subtitles are a nice initial "low hanging fruit" that
allows us to improve accessibility for the team.

Many thanks,
Al.