[ubuntu-za] Legal status

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Fri May 25 06:38:24 BST 2007

Weiers Coetser wrote:

> What is the legal status of our Loco Team? Do we have a constitution? Do
> we have a bank-account where funds can safely be kept in trust? Is there
> no sense in selling these T-Shirts and using the money raised to promote
> the cause of Ubuntu in a different way?

None of the above.

This question has come up for some of the other LoCos around the world,
but generally it's better to work through another related organisation,
such as a LUG who already has the required status, or a business.

At this point I'm happy to build momentum in the community in any way
possible (free stuff...) but in the long term your suggestion is great.

There's a certain small business opportunity around providing Ubuntu
branded stuff, in the same way as if you google for Linux you see some
local providers of Linux on CD. If such a business wanted to donate some
of the profits to the LoCoTeam - or sponsor specific things like events
or even a booth box (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoComputerFairHowto) for
events, I certainly wouldn't object :)

--
Morgan Collett