[ubuntu-za] T-shirts!

Weiers Coetser coetserw at hbc.ac.za
Thu May 24 20:49:47 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 18:20 +0200, martin kemp wrote:
> Jonathan Hitchcock wrote:
> >How about getting a t-shirt if you have a good Switch story?
>
> Sounds great, it should get some people (including myself) to convert
> a person or two :D
>
> Where does one post a switch story?

Hehe. I've been wanting to ask the same, but I cannot hold on to my
excitement anymore :-).

On Monday last week my boss (the vice president of our college) just
called me into his office and asked me to look at his computer. He had
installed Ubuntu 5.10 on his HP Laptop.

He had problems with a windows system that caused it to keep on crashing
and the IT guys were taking too long to sort it out. So he rembembered a
cd that I had given him at the beginning of last year.

I quickly nuked that installation and put feisty on for him. He has
installed several other programmes and he is constantly fiddling with
his system just for the fun of it. (He called me in the middle of a
rainstorm on Saturday Night at 22:30 to find out why his network did not
want to work anymore. My wife was really upset with me when I
immediately jumped in my car and drove to his house to help him
troubleshoot his system.)

More good news:  At the beginning of the year our college had about 100
computers in its work-lab running on Windows. I have managed to pursuade
the powers that be to set up four small satelite labs (in the
dormitories, student center, language school). There are now 17
computers (installed by myself) running Linux. The last three that I
installed (yesterday) has Feisty installed.

Oh yes. Two of my assistants working with me in the dormitory also have
Ubuntu (Edgy) installed on the computers that I managed to organise for
them.

I know it is not a lot compared to other setups. But I can now count 23
computers with Linux installed on our campus. (3 years ago there were
none. Our IT guys still refuse to support linux, but they are beginning
to change little by little. They have put Openoffice.org on staff
computers by default, unless the staff member requested Microsoft.)

Anyway...

I actually wanted to make a different point.

What is the legal status of our Loco Team? Do we have a constitution? Do
we have a bank-account where funds can safely be kept in trust? Is there
no sense in selling these T-Shirts and using the money raised to promote
the cause of Ubuntu in a different way?

Greetings

Weiers