[ubuntu-za] Modem works with Dapper but not with Edgy

Dave Matthews dave at qualica.com
Mon Mar 19 17:10:38 GMT 2007

Jonathan Hitchcock wrote:
> Dave Matthews wrote in a previous mail:
>
>> *some stuff*
>>
> That's a great cycle you're perpetuating there.

So very true. It bothers me. And thats why I raised it.

Yes it is a cycle: You are very unlikely to get a basic computer job
without windows skills. so you learn windows.

It's a reality and if I really want to help somebody I have to face it;

> "I use Windows because everybody else does" is not, and never has been a good argument.  We're supposed to be proselytizing Ubuntu in South
> Africa, for all the very good reasons that we know exist for using it.

... not quite  "I train somebody basic windows skills because it gets
them a job"

me, I use Ubuntu at home and at work and I encourage technically minded
friends to use it also.

I am asking the difficult questions:

"Should I train somebody with basic linux/ubuntu desktop skills? Will
they get a job with those skills?"