[ubuntu-za] Mounting FreeBSD partitions on Ubuntu

Jason Norwood-Young jason at freespeechpub.co.za
Fri Apr 6 00:18:24 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 21:47 +0200, Gustav H Meyer wrote:
> Jason Norwood-Young wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 23:52 +0200, Gustav H Meyer wrote:
> >> Maybe you guys have other interesting options like running Ubuntu server
> >> inside a BSD VM (virtual machine)?
> >
> > Check out VMWare (www.vmware.com) - the vmware player (vmware-player)
> > should be in your repositories too.
>
> Thanks for the reply Jason and sorry for the late reply. Been quite busy
> this week and have still not actually followed up on this topic.
>
> I've never run vmware due to a lack of resources but may very well try
> it on a new server that we acquired recently. Would it be possible to
> run vmware on a host OS without a GUI? In other words running multiple
> non-gui server installations on a single non-gui host.

I have to admit I've never tried. I use VMWare Server (available for
free from VMWare's site) which is configured with a gui, and I only use
it to run a version of Windowz for development purposes. The server
allows you to *create* VMware images of different operating systems
which you can play with the VMware Player available in the repository.
(You can actually hack the player to enable you to create images afaik,
but since the server is free nowadays it's kind of pointless.) I'd
imagine the player would be able to run headless systems, although you'd
probably have to read the docs to figure out how to configure it all
correctly.

If you want to just try it out and see if it'll work, I suggest you
install the player and then grab one of the pre-made images off of the
web. Check out http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/. You can also find
some cool ones on howtoforge.com - a lot of the guides have pre-built
images for systems configured as described in the how-tos. Eg.
http://www.howtoforge.com/download.php?id=2034_0 for "Virtual Users And
Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft)". A
Google will turn up a lot more.

Talking of Howtoforge, it also has tutorials on VMWare itself in case
you get stuck :)

So give it a go and let us know if you get it working without a gui.