[ubuntu-za] [Fwd: Change in Licensing Policy for the Ubuntu Wiki]

Jonathan Hitchcock vhata at rucus.net
Wed May 24 11:23:14 BST 2006

On Wed 2006-05-24 (11:49), Adi Attar wrote:
> People contribute to open source for many reasons. One of them is
> getting recognition and/or acknowledgement for the work they do. I'm not
> saying everybody wants to become famous for their contributions, but I'm
> willing to say that acknowledgement is important for at least some.
> Being acknowledged for one's contribution is a basic human right (IMO,
> again).

To quote from the mail you originally forwarded:

"This means that a contributor posting material on the wiki will NOT
retain any copyright over the material (although of course they will
still be credited in RecentChanges and the page history so that they can
take pride in their work), and others can copy or modify it without
restriction."

They're being acknowledged?  Where's the violation of human rights?