[ubuntu-x] New nvidia experimental driver packages coming soon for 12.04

Michael Wisheu wisheu at google.com
Fri Oct 12 15:18:33 UTC 2012

Hi Bryce,

Unfortunately 1060346 is an internal bug tracking ID of NVIDIA and I also
have no access to their bug tracker.
In addition to that I can't use easily 'ubuntu-bug xorg' as apport is
disabled on our company computers.
I also don't know if it would be so helpful if I would submit that report
as we build our own NVIDIA packages (based on X updates packages).

Thus I try to give as much details here:

$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  304.51  Tue Sep 18 17:16:56
PDT 2012
GCC version:  gcc version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)

$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii  nvidia-common                                        1:0.2.44.2
                     Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
ii  nvidia-current
304.51-0ubuntu1~precise~xup1~gg3        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel
module and VDPAU library
ii  nvidia-settings
 304.51-0ubuntu1~precise~xup1~gg3        Tool of configuring the NVIDIA
graphics driver
ii  nvidia-updater                                       1.19
                     Postpone NVIDIA package updates until startup

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 3120 x 1920, maximum 8192 x 8192
DVI-I-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DVI-I-1 connected 1920x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
518mm x 324mm
   1920x1200      60.0*+   59.9
   1600x1200      60.0
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0
   1152x864       75.0
   1024x768       75.0     60.0
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   640x480        75.0     59.9
DP-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-1 connected 1200x1920+1920+0 left (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 518mm x 324mm
   1920x1200      60.0*+   59.9
   1920x1080      60.0     59.9     50.0     24.0     30.0     30.0
25.0
   1600x1200      60.0
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0
   1280x720       60.0     59.9     50.0
   1152x864       75.0
   1024x768       75.0     60.0
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   720x576        50.0     25.0
   720x480        59.9     30.0
   640x480        75.0     59.9     59.9

Steps to reproduce the issue:
1) Configure one monitor in portrait orientation
2) xset dpms force standby
3) Press a key or move the mouse so that the monitors leave standby
4) Xorg crash

I've also attached my Xorg.0.log.old after a crash.
Please note that we were able reproduce this behavior on all release
drivers between 304.43 and 304.51. This might be an issue in earlier 3xx.xx
drivers too.
I hope this helps already a bit... If you need more details please let me
know.

Best,

Michael

PS: Wish you a nice weekend...