[ubuntu-x] New nvidia experimental driver packages coming soon for 12.04

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Fri Oct 12 09:41:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:14:30AM +0200, Michael Wisheu wrote:
> Hi Byrce,
>
> Thanks for the great explanation and I agree that it makes sense this way.
> Please note that we've seen another bug with 304.43 and later (but might
> affect also earlier 304.x driver versions) on Precise that cause X server
> crashes under certain circumstances.
> The circumstances are:
> * Multi-monitor setup
> * At least one screen is in portrait orientation
> * X server crashes once monitors should leave standby
> * Disabling DPMS prevents the X server crashes
>
> NVIDIA has confirmed this issue last week and they are working on a fix.
> They are tracking the issue under number 1060346. There is no Launchpad bug
> for this issue.

Thanks for letting me know about this Michael.

Do you have a URL for viewing the issue number 1060346, or is that an
internal bug tracker number?  If the latter, is there a forum or mailing
list post from NVIDIA referencing that, which we could refer to?

Having a Launchpad bug report to follow this would be helpful.  The most
useful way to file this bug would be to reproduce the crash, and then on
the crashed system file the bug via 'ubuntu-bug xorg', which will
collect all the log and config files we need.  Then also reference any
and all background material (steps to reproduce, external bug #'s, forum
discussions, etc.)  Elaborating on any/all testing activity you've done
can also be invaluable.

Bryce