[ubuntu-x] [Retitled] i830 support

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 4 02:30:09 BST 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 08:29 -0600, Gordon Schumacher wrote:
> On 09/22/2010 06:55 PM, Christopher James Halse Rogers wrote:

> >> I also have some contacts at Intel now, albeit in entirely the wrong
> >> group; they might be able to pass me along to someone though.
> >>
> >> Also, I think I know in broad strokes what it is that broke video for
> >> me.  I seem to remember that once upon a time, there were two drivers
> >> one could load for the i830 - the current driver, or the old i810 driver
> >> (which is still there).  The current driver never worked for me, but the
> >> i810 driver did.  That doesn't work anymore, but I might be able to
> >> cargo-cult the older i810 driver code that supported the i830 into the
> >> new driver.
> >>
> > Hm.  That reminds me of bug a freedesktop.org bug¹ that I thought
> > applied to i810, but seems to actually apply to (some) i830s.  If that
> > turns out to be your bug then there's a lot of information on that bug,
> > including prospective patches.
> >

> Um.  So... the release candidate works *perfectly* for me, with respect
> to video: no freaky text mode flicker, no X-shift in the installer... it
> all just works.
>
> That will make it a little hard to debug :)
>
> What changed from Lucid?

We stopped trying to load the Intel X driver and just use fbdev instead
on your hardware. :)

You should be able to degrade your experience (in some ways, gaining
features in others) back to Lucid by manually selecting the Intel driver
in xorg.conf (see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Mavericki8xxStatus for
instructions).

If that still doesn't get you back to Lucid's behaviour, yay!  Magical
kernel fairies have come in and fixed everything!