[ubuntu-x] Tagging Xorg bugs

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Mar 4 03:51:59 GMT 2010

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 12:18:03AM -0400, Geir Ove Myhr wrote:
> Carey Underwood and I have independently been working on tagging bugs
> in xserver-xorg-video-intel lately.
> We both agree that tagging a bug with the ubuntu version(s) where the
> bug exist is useful.

I've had a bit of an epipheny since we started doing this.  We have
scads and scads and scads of bug reports against X.  I have been
graphing the unstoppable growth of bug reports[1], and while progress is
being made at the moment, it feels like we're trying to boil the ocean.
We need a way to divide and conquer, so we can focus on a more tractible
subset.

For development purposes we care the most about the bugs known to affect
the current development version (Lucid).  This seems to me like the
subset we want.  The trouble has always been identifying these bugs
sufficiently.

Tagging the ubuntu version(s) is a good way to track these bugs.  It is
pretty easy to construct a query for bugs tagged lucid, or "karmic
-lucid" for bugs needing re-tested.

However, applying the tags manually is insane.  Instead, I've been
working on some scripts to help automate it.  Arsenal now goes through X
bugs daily and applies release-name and symptom tags as best it can
guess.  Apport also now applies the release-name as a tag for all bugs
it files.  I'm considering additional tools as well.

I will also be producing some graphs for tracking lucid-tagged bugs, but
for right now am just capturing the data[2].

One case where manual triaging is needed is for bugs against karmic and
older, where we ask the user to test lucid, and they do.  I don't have a
way to detect these cases and tag 'lucid', so if you can add it by hand,
this will get the bug into the bucket of bugs we look at.

Bryce

1: http://bryceharrington.org/X/Graphs/totals.svg
2: http://bryceharrington.org/X/Data/ubuntu-x-swat/BugStats/