[ubuntu-x] Add tag for GPU fan related problems? [was: Tagging Xorg bugs (especially -intel)]

Martin Olsson mnemo at minimum.se
Fri May 8 13:53:17 BST 2009

Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:08:04AM +0200, Martin Olsson wrote:
>> Bryce Harrington wrote:
>>> What does everyone think of the following list of tags for symptoms?
>> What about cases when xorg fails to start but doesn't strictly crash.
>> I'm thinking about stuff like "no screens with usable configuration" etc.
>>
>> If xorg gets stuck in a loop with 100% cpu, should that be a "freeze" then
>> or is that reserved for infinite ioctl() blocking bugs only?
>>
>> Will you publish a final tag list on the wiki later and with an explanation
>> of each?
>
> I've published an updated tag list with explanations (mostly Geir's
> original list, with a few additions).
>
>   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Tagging

One guy in the fglrx perf bug said the main reason he uses fglrx
and not the open source driver is because the -ati driver is running
his GPU fans on full power _all the time_ which I can imagine is
really annoying. He said it was even higher priority to him than
getting nice 3D perf.

Does ubuntu-x own such bugs or not? I'm asking this in particular
because while googling around I found this on ideastorm which
is a pretty nice idea that suggests that GPU fan control be
moved into the kernel because otherwise the fans usually go
"all in" until you get into X and the X driver can turn them off:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/5852/

(however, I assume the existence of this ideastorm entry means
that the xorg team currently owns all of the bugs, no? I wonder
how that works out in server like scenarios like "home media center"
or whatever.. that must be painful)

As a first step, how about adding a LP tag for bugs relating to fans?

		Martin