[ubuntu-x] Add tag for GPU fan related problems? [was: Tagging Xorg bugs (especially -intel)]

unggnu unggnu at googlemail.com
Fri May 8 14:19:35 BST 2009

Hi,

it has most likely something to do with Powerplay features of the ATI
cards which isn't supported in the free driver and which is still not
documented. So atm there isn't much they can do about it. But I heard
that someone of the Ubuntu devs is working on this but without docs it
will take a long time I guess. Maybe AMD will release them soon.

I personally changed my firmware to undervoltage/-clock my GPU to get
rid of the noise and fglrx. Without it you really can't use the free
driver with HD4870 if your aren't deaf but the proprietary driver is so
buggy that this was the only option for me.

The tag would be fine of course but wouldn't help much. It is up to
upstream and the graphic company to get rid of the fan problem.

unggnu