[UbuntuWomen] UW Wiki translations, We need your Help!

स्वक्ष vid at svaksha.com
Wed Mar 31 02:27:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 01:34, Melissa Weber Mendonca
<melissawm at gmail.com> wrote:

> My name is Melissa, I'm from Brazil and I'm an applied mathematician. I just
> came back from Belgium where I was getting my PhD and now I'm back to the
> university where I did my undergrad and masters studies to try and be a
> teacher here. Right now I'm a post-doc.
>
> I've been using Linux for the past 10 years at least, I've used several
> distros (Slackware, Red Hat, Fedora, Mandrake, Contectiva, Mandriva,
> Suse/OpenSuse... you get the point) but I've been using Ubuntu since Hoary or
> Warty (never remember which came first) and I've been a lurker on this list
> for quite some time :) The main reason that I never contributed before is that
> the events always seem to be taking place so far away from me that I don't
> feel like I can contribute something to the discussion... Plus, since I've
> been studying like crazy the last 10 years of my life I'm just now starting to
> have the time to be able to really contribute regularly.
>
> I've been doing some Ubuntu translations into Brazilian Portuguese (not too
> many, I'm afraid) but your initiative seems excellent for us, since I know for
> a fact there are so many women who contribute to Ubuntu and Linux in general
> in Brazil and who do not necessarily speak good english. Besides, Brazil
> sorely lacks any kind of incentives for women to join tech/science related
> groups. Since Ubuntu is growing in popularity here, this would be great I
> think for us and for Ubuntu.

Melissa , Welcome to UW and Ubuntu :) Besides Ubuntu's Brazilian loco
team there is a very very very strong larger Linux community in
Brazil. The same is true for Argentina. I've met some folks during
their visits to India and most recently at pycon I attended a talk on
the local community initiatives, one of which is : dojorio.org (I
really liked this idea and wish we had something similar in India).
Here is an Googles English translation page:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://dojorio.wordpress.com/&ei=z7GyS7OtCIvYsgOAvqTMBA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddojorio%26hl%3Den%26prmd%3Dv

--
vid || http://svaksha.com