[UbuntuWomen] Ubuntu-women IRC channel discussion

etali etali at myth-games.com
Wed Jan 6 18:30:04 UTC 2010

On 06/01/2010 17:43, Akkana Peck wrote:
> All the proposals seem to involve public logging: logs posted
> to the internet.
>
> The page mentions, as one of the benefits of logging, "Freedom to
> share logs snippits of discussions in the channel with third parties
> who were not present" or with channel members who aren't in the
> channel 24/7.
>
> Fine, that is useful.  But I don't understand why that benefit needs
> to be tied to having all logs posted publically somewhere where
> Google and other search engines will index them and everything we
> say will be searchable by the world for the rest of our lives.

Someone in IRC (I can't remember who, I don't log *g*), suggested making
the logs password protected.  I agree with that suggestion.

It gives the "oversight" that some people feel the IRCC needs, and it
allows long term members the ability to view logs should they need them,
but reduces the chances of random stalkers finding the logs.

Of course if the stalker type is someone with the ability to view the
logs then that could cause problems, but I'd like to think that's
unlikely to happen?

--
Lesley Harrison