[UbuntuWomen] IRC Meeting Notes: June 12 21:00 UTC 2008

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at ubuntu.com
Sun Jun 22 01:44:10 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Elizabeth Bevilacqua <lyz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> {*} The Ubuntu Women project has become very social
>  * hypa7ia felt this was one of the most important things the
> community could do
>  * pleia2 agreed noting that it was cool that people were "sharing
> similar experiences, spending time with similar folks, [and] being
> supportive" but did not feel this should be everything.
>  * hypa7ia agreed.

On this subject, there is one section of the website I'd like to draw
attention to and that's our Resources:

http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Links
http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/ChallengingSexism
http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/WomenAchievers

I think all these are valuable as women-centric resources that our
project should be regularly adding to - but we haven't. I'm just as
guilty as everyone else :) I post links to the mailing list but always
forget about these. I think it would be worthwhile for us to keep
these resources in mind.

> {*} The mentoring program

I'm slightly burned out by this particular initiative because I've
been trying for it for quite some time. I think it's absolutely a
worthwhile program, but we simply need more people working on it. If
someone else could pick up in a leadership capacity here I'd help out.

> {*} Streamlining Ubuntu-Women and decreasing redundancy

During the meeting I volunteered to head up this effort.

>  * Go through the Ubuntu Women website and remove redundancy. Point
> to the appropriate general community pages.

Done. The getinv.html page is much more accessible and rather than
pointing to our redundant, incomplete docs, they point to the
community-maintained resources.

Retained how to get involved in Ubuntu Women directly since that's quite useful.

>   * Remove content that is not sufficiently related to Ubuntu-women's issues.
>    * Examples on the wiki include Human-Computer Interaction and
> Ubuntu Community Process

Done. I also moved some of the stuff on the Wiki's main page around so
the important items are on top. People want to see Profiles and
Meetings when they come, the rest of the content is now nicely
organized below those.

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua
http://www.princessleia.com