[UbuntuWomen] IRC Meeting Notes: August 16 14:00 UTC 2008

Vid_A vid at svaksha.com
Tue Aug 26 11:27:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 05:18, Elizabeth Bevilacqua <lyz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the delay in getting these up. These are also posted on the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/20080816

thanks Lyz.

>   * svaksha brought up the fact that we tend to lose track of women
> we forward on to other projects, are they staying involved? Leaving?

I am afraid for the most part they might be leaving and that silence
bothers me.... as in we are losing potential contributors if they dont
know or are too shy to ask to start.

>    * No one had any suggestions on how/if this can be fixed

I wish i had a foolproof answer but for now i know the goal : Stop
losing contributors :-D

>  * pleia2 and svaksha agreed to send their thoughts to the list about
> content to get the conversation started

done

>  * mocap asked for futher clarification on what we want from women
> we're trying to get involved, suggested that vagueness sometimes
> prevents people from joining in
>   * pleia2 explained "typically women approach us and ask how to get
> involved - we ask their interests and talents, then send them to the
> appropriate resources on how to get involved, so it's up to them how
> they get involved"

absolutely, its also not fun if "you have to be told what to do"
(atleast not for me :)).  That said, the best work around could be a
wiki page listing tasks that need help OR an LP project where every
ubuntu team lists their "help wanted" in a central place which any LP
account holder can check by default. Its way more complicated to
implement but hey the idea does not cost me anything.

>    * elk80 suggested contacts within UW and other projects who can be
> contacted directly

maybe that UW team could help put them in touch with key members of
the respective team who could find ways to use the new talent. Most
people might get annoyed if every newbie pinged them directly.

thanks,

--
Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||