[UbuntuWomen] IRC Meeting Notes: August 16 14:00 UTC 2008

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 25 23:48:16 UTC 2008

Sorry for the delay in getting these up. These are also posted on the wiki:

http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/20080816

Full logs of the meeting can be downloaded here:

http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/20080816?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=MeetingAug1608.txt

= Ubuntu-Women IRC Meeting August 16 14:00 UTC 2008 =

 {*} [https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2008-July/001672.html|
Redevelopment of Website]
  * Troy, the developer of our logo suggested redevelopment of the
website, he brought up good points which we should reply to
  * We have a lot of work before we can get to the design side, elk80
volunteered to pitch in with content updates
   * pleia2 suggested keeping up with articles/news
  * The website is the first thing people see of the project, so it's
important to work on
  * elk80 asked about goals and direction, and emmajane's RoadMap was linked
   * svaksha brought up the fact that we tend to lose track of women
we forward on to other projects, are they staying involved? Leaving?
    * No one had any suggestions on how/if this can be fixed
   * Our project acts a bit like a referral service/springboard into
the grander community, and the RoadMap reflects that
  * We would like to discuss redevelopment of content and then see
about design, whether it be with help from Troy, or a design contest
like the [http://www.phpwomen.org/wordpress/2008/06/24/phpwomen-article-competition/|
PHP Women have done]
  * pleia2 and svaksha agreed to send their thoughts to the list about
content to get the conversation started
  * mocap asked for futher clarification on what we want from women
we're trying to get involved, suggested that vagueness sometimes
prevents people from joining in
   * pleia2 explained "typically women approach us and ask how to get
involved - we ask their interests and talents, then send them to the
appropriate resources on how to get involved, so it's up to them how
they get involved"

 {*} Newbie/referral team within Ubuntu Women
  * svaksha suggested a small team of women within the project where
women could start off to ask questions before asking the greater
community
   * mocap clarified "like an organisation team? That'd help,
somewhere a newbie (like me) could go, 'I can do this, this and this,
what can I do to help?'"
   * Hobbsee: "tell them that people don't bite?  much?"
   * mocap went on to explain "Sometimes newbies don't know where to
go! e.g. I'd love to get involved, but I am only good at genetics"
   * pleia2 explained that she "forgot what was scary" when new to the
project, so mocap's perspective was quite welcome
    * mocap suggested that she could help with the team, getting
"newbies in the right direction"
    * elk80 suggested contacts within UW and other projects who can be
contacted directly
    * mocap explained that forums are a bit more welcoming than mailing lists
    * pleia2 suggested "perhaps a wiki page that explains we're happy
and friendly and here are our resources or directly email these newbie
helpers?"

 {*} emmajane suggested having a "five a day" for getting involved
with ubuntu generally (not just bug squashing, but small things you
can do"

 {*} Next item on agenda was OpenID implementation on the UW Wiki -
pleia2 wasn't sure it was possible, final agenda item about
[http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Cultural_Exchange_Series} Cultural
Exchange Series] was tabled until dinda was around

 {*} james_w mentioned a few things before the end of the meeting
  * Congratulated mouz who was recently accepted in to
ubuntu-bugcontrol, which is a team that has more power over Ubuntu's
bugs
  * He posted the other day about the mentoring programme for aspiring
developers, which was something mentioned in past meetings, "feel free
to talk to me afterwards if you are interested"
  * MOTU school is hosting developer week next month, which is a load
of introductory sessions on development

Cheers,

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua // Lyz // pleia2