[UbuntuWomen] This link should make everyone happy

Jennifer Redman jenred at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 00:41:43 UTC 2007

On 9/7/07, Joe Terranova <joeterranova at gmail.com> wrote:

> The ad was created by a company, for a company, and paid for by a
> company. It was published by a company. Who does one complain to? A
> company, because it was published professionally for a professional
> purpose.
>
> This post was created by some guy that happens to work somewhere in
> his normal life (as most people do). His company didn't pay for it to
> be posted, and isn't sponsoring the site.

This is a very good point.  And you are right, my analogy was bad.

Comment on his blog. Email him. Discuss it on the planet. Don't call
> and complain to his boss. Tell him you're offended by the post, and
> why you feel that way -- he's already edited it once because people
> took offense.

This post is in a public place and reflects poorly on Ubuntu's
> attitude towards women, and may curtail interest from women. Getting
> someone fired over a personal blog post reflects poorly on the Ubuntu
> Women's project, and would also curtail interest in it.

So I guess I identify myself as member of the technical community first.
And as a member of the technical community who owns a small business, and is
interested in furthering the adoption of FOSS and Ubuntu in the enterprise,
I believe that the way to encourage a larger acceptance of Ubuntu as a
business tool is to have zero-tolerance for these sorts of posts in public
places.  The best way to make this clear is through economic ramifications.
So the message to Accenture is -- you provide technical consulting, I happen
to be in a position that is likely to either 1) recommend a consulting
company or 2) work with one of your consultants, but hey guess what -- one
of your employees has no problem making publicly sexist remarks,  I think
I'll go with a company that chooses to hire people who don't make these
sorts of statements.

>From what I
> had understood, the goal was to increase the number of women in the
> project, provide mentoring for new contributors, and curtail attitudes
> that are unwelcoming and discouraging.

You are right again -- this probably isn't the best forum, and I apologize
to the Ubuntu-Women who feel that my post detracted from the issues they are
trying to address.  But, please understand,  I wanted to give women an
option and let them know that as members of the technical community they
have alternative choices of action.  I believe it's up to them to decide
which course of action fits best with their belief systems.

Personally, public posts that portray women as objects with regards to
technology is a trigger point for me.  I find those sorts of posts far more
objectionable, dangerous, and damaging then referring to women as wives in a
newsletter.  This doesn't mean that either is more valid.

And yes I think this guy needs to be shown that his choices can have
economic implications, even if some view the approach as "scorched earth
tactics."

Jen