[UbuntuWomen] Ubuntu For All: Should LoCos support discriminatory organizations?

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 19 11:32:12 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 12:41:36AM +0200, Jan Claeys wrote:
> Like I already said on IRC: support those children, but don't support
> this organisation (at large) and theirs ideas.

I would be happy to work with these children in an environment where I
was welcome. It's not the people themselves that are a problem in this
specific case, but the organization that has turned into a "poster
child" for homosexual discrimination in the United States, which is a
huge issue here right now.

> (In the case of those boy scouts, it seems like local chapters and the
> national presidency don't necessarily agree on those issues anyway, so
> you might be able to find a way to work together.)

Indeed, some are more accepting than others. It probably wouldn't be
some dramatic show of throwing people out because they were gay or
atheist (if they even knew, I don't wear a badge proclaiming my atheism
in real life :)

> A locoteam ideally consist of people from different backgrounds,
> religions, beliefs, gender, sexuality, etc.  This will cause some
> friction from time to time, but it's always good to give the others the
> opportunity to prove they can do something useful

Yep. And I think it's important for people to express their opinions and
problems with certain things that might influence other team members. It
would have been a bit odd if after participating in so much with the
team I simply dropped out of the BSA event for "no reason." I want the
freedom to explain why. We might not agree, but being open with each
other and discussing things is good.

> Oh, and of course, if you (or anybody else) don't feel comfortable to
> help with a particular activity, you don't have to!

It looks like the way our LoCo team is going to handle it all is by
including a disclaimer (somewhere on our website or wiki) stating that
when we work with organizations, we don't necessarily support their
views.

Elizabeth Bevilacqua // lyz at ubuntu.com
Ubuntu Women Project: www.ubuntu-women.org
Ubuntu PA US LoCo Team: www.meetlinux.com