[UbuntuWomen] Ubuntu For All: Should LoCos support discriminatory organizations?

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Mon Jun 18 22:41:36 UTC 2007

Op zondag 17-06-2007 om 09:06 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Elizabeth
Bevilacqua:
> I didn't say that the team shouldn't work with them, as I don't know
> the official Ubuntu position on this. But I am somewhat troubled with
> the possibility of being part of a team that supports groups with such
> public discriminatory policies, that in fact exclude me as an atheist.
> The Boy Scouts issue has been big news here in the US as this country
> still struggles toward equality for homosexuals.

> thread, where he raises some very good points:

> So, should LoCos support discriminatory organizations?

Like I already said on IRC: support those children, but don't support
this organisation (at large) and theirs ideas.

(In the case of those boy scouts, it seems like local chapters and the
national presidency don't necessarily agree on those issues anyway, so
you might be able to find a way to work together.)

A locoteam ideally consist of people from different backgrounds,
religions, beliefs, gender, sexuality, etc.  This will cause some
friction from time to time, but it's always good to give the others the
opportunity to prove they can do something useful
.

Oh, and of course, if you (or anybody else) don't feel comfortable to
help with a particular activity, you don't have to!

--
Jan Claeys