[UbuntuWomen] Just a little hello :)

Firas Kraiem fkraiem at free.fr
Wed Aug 15 15:41:34 UTC 2007

Hi everyone

Name is Firas (male, my firstname not being particularly obvious on that
matter), 20, computer engineering student from France. Those of you who
are on Ubuntu Forums might also know me by the nickname HymnToLife.

I've used Ubuntu for about one year (Hoary/Breezy era) and though I
don't use it as my main OS anymore (please don't throw cutting objects
at me ^^), I liked the "Ubuntu spirit" so I'm still here doing various
Ubuntu-related things.

Besides playing around with computers, my hobbies include mainly
literature, photography and japanese animation. I also used to be a big
music lover (read on for the explanation of the past tense), my tastes
ranging from classical to jazz to heavy metal. I also used to play drums.

On the down side, I suffer from Neurofibromatosis type II, which is a
genetic disorder of the nervous system causing various tumors (no, not
cancerous ones) to appear on some cranial nerves, especially the
auditive nerve - more info available on the almighty Wikipedia[1], for
those interested. As a result, I've been as deaf as one can be for the
last two years, though improvements are - hopefully - on the way.

That's pretty much all there is to say about me but while I'm here, I'd
like to make a little comment about a thread[2] posted a few months ago
about "Ubuntu, women and artwork". If you find those pictures tasteless,
disrespectful and unnecessary, as I do, then the first thing to do would
be not to use the word "artwork" when referring to them. As someone who
tries to make tasteful and respectful depictions of women - Isabelle has
seen some of my stuff, she'll tell you whether I succeeded or not -, I
admit I find it a bit disturbing when people use the same word for that
kind of pictures and for e.g. a painting by Botticelli.

Just my two cents but think about it, words have a great power and
things like that matter more than they seem ;)

Firas

[1] : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurofibromatosis_type_II
[2] : https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2007-May/000832.html