[UbuntuWomen] [ubuntu-marketing] UWN #51: "... and this evenincluded some wi

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 8 09:18:30 UTC 2007

On 8/8/07, Martin Albisetti <argentina at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is too bad, specially when it starts to scale into the blogosphere,
> and more and more time is invested in a harmless insignificant detail
> rather then contributing in a positive way...   *sigh*

I agree that a lot of time is being spent on this, but the reason is
you response, Martin. I take great exception to this being called s a
"harmless insignificant detail" again - it's not. I am a very busy
person and I wouldn't have taken the time to write the email if it
was. I'm a wife and I'm very active in the Ubuntu US team, I'm proud
of both those titles and off-hand comments like this make me feel like
I'm less of a Member because I happen to be someone's wife. This "even
included some wives" comes off as some "impressive" statement about
how wives were there - no one should be surprised that I was there, so
if the intent was to say "non-ubuntu project partners there to
support" it should have been phrased as such.

I received an apology from the fellow who wrote the piece, he's a good
guy and I'm now working with him in Ubuntu-US. As was expected he
"really didn't even think when [he] wrote it" - this is not uncommon,
I don't fault him for it.

So my intent was to point the mistake out and hope that in the future
people are more sensitive to these things, it certainly has helped
already. Speaking up when these mistakes happen is really the key to
solving the problem.

I'm also coming away with this with the impression that the UWN does
not want suggestions if the person they are coming from isn't a
regular contributor to the publication. That's an unfortunate way for
the UWN to be run.

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua
http://www.princessleia.com