[UbuntuWomen] "Some will never learn..." thread

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at princessleia.com
Tue Apr 3 23:45:37 UTC 2007

While I think that most of the points expressed in this thread have been
worthwhile and a good conversation, I think we've reached a point where
it's more "flame" than "substance"

I spoke with a few women in Ubuntu-Women about this thread this morning.
There is concern that it's gotten a bit out of hand and needs to be
dealt with with the parties involved in a more direct manner. Possibly
with everyone involved in an email or IRC meeting with Ubuntu-Women and
CC representation. Both Belinda and I have volunteered to represent
Ubuntu-Women.

This goes beyond a problem Caroline had and now several examples of this
sort of thing within Ubuntu have come to light that need to be
discussed. Some of these problems may seem small (like a male-focused
greeting) but it's all part of a culture that continues to drive women
away.

I am glad Caroline posted. I want women to feel comfortable coming
forward to this group to talk about problems. I think there is a big
problem with people just walking away when things like this happens -
who wants to put up a fight to volunteer for a project? Not many of us,
I've walked away from my share of projects.

A few people were concerned with Caroline's response, I understand the
concern. I spoke with Melissa and she absolutely sympathizes with
Caroline's situation (having encountered similar problems herself!) but
just wants things to be handled more directly. I don't think anyone
wants to "silence" anyone. We all just want to get to the bottom of
this.

Emotions run high in discussions like this from all sides, but I'd
appreciate it if we tried to calm down our opinions this particular
thread until everyone directly involved has had chance to speak in the
proper environment. We're not enemies here, we just want to see the
proper resolution.

And I'm hopeful that a resolution will come of this - and that the
attention it's brought within the Ubuntu community will be a turning
point that wakes people up to the problems that still exist for women
contributing to Ubuntu, and FOSS in general.

Cheers,

Lyz/pleia2

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua // Lyz at PrincessLeia.com
http://www.princessleia.com