[UbuntuWomen] Ubuntu OS

Jane Silber jane.silber at canonical.com
Fri Mar 17 11:03:50 UTC 2006

Hi Evelyn,

> So there people most of them have machines at home
> and we go there and install the software, but we lack what to tell
> them when the
> question of software comes up, some specific software that one wld need
> can only be available on the universal repositories,
>
> which makes me think twice on either trashing ubuntu and only
> have it in office and install suse which gives me software on the 5
> CDs, or
> air this out on the ubuntu list to get a response.
>
> so ubuntu developers and people directly concerned should
> look at this issue, not everyone has internet access but people still
> need to use the software without complaining.
Ubuntu does in fact take the issue of internet access (and lack thereof)
very seriously. It is in large part because of this that we:
a. will send you a copy of Ubuntu for free
b. take great care to keep Ubuntu to a  single CD so that people who do
download it only have to download 1 CD rather than 5

You will find that we have done a very careful "best of breed" selection
of what goes on that one CD and I suspect it will provide you with
everything you need.  There are complete graphics tools, office tools,
games, mail/browser, etc all included.  It is true that there is only 1
browser (Firefox) instead of several (although other options are
available in the online repositories for those who want them), but we
strongly believe that giving a complete desktop (on 1 CD, for free) is a
better option for those with limited Internet access than forcing them
to purchase or download 5 CDs.

Is there a specific application that you find useful that is missing
from the basic CD image?  If so, we'd be happy to discuss whether it
makes sense to include it.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Jane