[ubuntu-women] Re: Creating change

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Fri Mar 10 03:57:00 UTC 2006

On 10/03/2006, at 9:15 AM, Lucia Mazzoni wrote:

> my experience in Italy is that local associations are more "techie"
> and
> able to set up different and interesting initiatives (courses,
> seminars,... pizza togheter while we talk of autotools),

Yes, they can get more specific, be more user-responsive.

> IMHO national
> associations actually spend a lot of effort trying to keep togheter,
> linked, different "souls" of its partecipants, different idea about
> what
> the association have to do and, mainly, how.

Lots of co-ordination and information-gathering/dissemination.

> On 2004 I partecipate to organise a conference with Larry Wall,
> Allison
> Randall, Randal Schwartz... called CodeJam. It was organized by a
> set of
> LUGs and others (perlmonkers) in our spare time and it had been
> hard work!

I bet it was! Great fun in the end, though, and well worth the work,
I imagine. You meet such great people, too. And your effort flows on
through the OSS communities. :)

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)