"way back in the 1990's" (was: Re: [ubuntu-women] introduction

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Tue Mar 7 06:52:19 UTC 2006

On 07/03/2006, at 5:05 PM, Claudine Chionh wrote:

> I've been using Ubuntu at home since 4.10; before that I used Mac OS
> X, Debian and (way back in the 1990s :-) ) Slackware.

I think I'm getting old. ;)  I date back to punch-card queues in the
mid 70's!

It's surprising any of us survived the frustration, really: you sweat
blood over your program, work it out mathematically as well as you
can, covering hectares of butcher paper, queue up to punch your
cards, then queue up again to have your program run ...

and the machine just spits out one card, on the floor: you're
expected to pick it up quickly, grab the rest of your cards, and get
out the way. Then you're out of the building and back to the butcher
paper. No error message. Why this card? What on this card? How is
this affected by what was on the preceding cards? Do I have enough
sanity yet to consider repunching more cards and doing more queuing??

It was nearly as hard on the feet (all that queuing, standing up) as
it was on the patience. ;)

Nice to see you here, Claudine. :) (We've met on Linuxchix.)

General note: I'm not an Ubuntu user. I used to run MkLinux on a
separate partition, but now I have Mac OSX, after using and teaching
the use of most machines and platforms, I have it all IMHO. I love my
iBook, and am currently lusting after the new MacBook Pros, although
they will have to bring out something cheaper to be in my price
bracket. ;)

I volunteer to translate for the free software community, because
free software is essential to freedom of information and access to
technology in third world countries (including Vietnam).

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)