Ubuntu-Women Goals (was: [UbuntuWomen] (No, you're not... :))

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 20:04:38 UTC 2006

Hi

On 6/30/06, Jeannie <jeanniekb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmmm, how can I make myself more clear.
> What attracted ME to a womens users group is the HOPE that I would be able
> to get clear and understandable answers to my technical questions.

The goal of UW is to get more women involved in technical aspects
(like writing code to create software or do packaging, bugs triaging
and write technical doc's, and so on). These activities need some
basic technical knowledge and

As others have said, Ubuntu-users having problems with using the
software have an *exclusive* list dedicated to this purpose along with
IRC and Forums, where people with more experience and knowledge are
available.

Almost always the atmosphere on Ubuntu is "polite and helpful" but
there are always exceptions and even people who have signed the CoC
can cross the line, very rare but not impossible. Personally, I find
its easier to identify it as a typical human attitude and move on but
YMMV.

> Pease don't deny me MY opinions, I wont deny you yours.

... Definitely not. We all have different experiences and that
certainly was not the intention. Here you will find many men who
support women in UW trying to remove the barriers (if any) as opposed
to creating new ones.

I hope the brief explaination about UW has cleared any doubts and if
you want to get involved see this page on how to get started :
http://www.ubuntu-women.org/getinv.html

Its not exhaustive list but if you have more questions about
volunteering, feel free to ask here and we can share and learn
something new in the process.

--
Vid