symlink persist follow-up

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 12:53:07 UTC 2023

On Sat, 30 Sept 2023 at 13:20, Grizzly <Real_Grizz_Adams at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> what is the dif between clean & autoclean? (I'm on a Win box at moment) a web
> search gave me
>
> "With autoclean option, can remove all those packages which are not required by
> the system or which cannot be downloaded any further"
>
> does that mean that clean may "remove packages which are required by the
> system" ?

In a sense yes, but it is talking about removing downloaded packages
from the apt cache, not from the system.  So clean will remove all
downloads, autoclean only removes some of them, namely those that are
no longer available in the repository, presumably on the assumption
that they have been superseded by later versions.
If you have a slow internet connection you might not want to use
clean, in case you have to re-install a package, but for most that is
a very rare occurrence.

Colin