23.10 Beta files are available (Phoronix)

Keith keithw at caramail.com
Tue Sep 26 22:12:24 UTC 2023

On 9/26/23 7:09 AM, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> Apologies for the delay in replying... I've managed to lose my notes.

No worries. Communication via a mailing list has a built-in leisure factor.

> On Sun, 24 Sept 2023 at 20:21, Keith <keithw at caramail.com
> <mailto:keithw at caramail.com>> wrote:
>
>     So org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings doesn't have maximize key to
>     modify?
>     On 22.04, the default value is Super-Up, but you can turn off default
>     value and put in a custom value of ['<Super>Up'] if its not listed. Is
>     it giving an error when you try to set it?
>
>     Down the list there's also "Toggle Maximized" which is set to
>     ['<Alt>F10']. You can add ['<Super>Up'] as custom value like so:
>     ['<Alt>F10', '<Super>Up']. Super-Up then becomes a toggle for
>     maximize/unmaximize state.
>
>     Having both Maximize and Toggle Maximized shortcut settings is
>     redundant, though. Is one of them not there anymore?
>
>      > 3. Using dconf-editor for Super+Down arrow isn't necessary as I like
>      > thee default of restoring window to previous sizse
>      >
>      > None of the settings I applied survive a re-boot.
>
>     That's really odd. You clicked the "Apply" button at the bottom after
>     making a change, right? And started dconf-editor not using sudo also?
>
> Yes. The Super + Left Arrow and Super + Right Arrow, after I saved the
> changes in dconf-editor did react as you would expect. I saved the
> changes in dconf-editor and it worked. I rebooted and the settings for
> Super + Left Arrow and Super + Right Arrow had been reset to "do not use
> default".

So the changes aren't kept even if you set them as Custom values instead
of the default? Are other applications with settings saved in the dconf
database being reset as well?

Also, when logged in and assuming your userid is 1000, check the
permission/ownership on /run/user/1000/dconf/user and
~/.config/dconf/user. Sometimes running gui app launched with sudo will
change the perm/owner of the dconf file in the /run dir. Changes then
don't get saved. You want to make sure owner/group is same between two
user files. Perm in /run will probably be stricter but still needs rw-

I don't think it is a dconf-editor problem. I think something else is
> re-setting the values on boot up.

I'm not sure what could be overriding those settings. Did you try
setting them via the command-line utility, gsettings? Doing so might
generate an error message that could indicate an issue that dconf-editor
isn't reporting.

--
Keith