Ubuntu Unity 22.10 missing Launcher & Menus

Grizzly Real_Grizz_Adams at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 19:23:21 UTC 2023

10 February 2023  at 8:13, Little Girl wrote:
Re: Ubuntu Unity 22.10 missing Laun (at least in part)

>Hey there,
>
>Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
>>Little Girl wrote:
>
>>>https://askubuntu.com/questions/61947/unity-shows-no-icons-or-launcher-i-get-only-the-wallpaper

>>Thanks for that, it was one I had not found during my (not google)
>>search, but it did not help, lets hope a wise mind here can help

>This is a really wild guess based on a nasty bug I've encountered
>that drastically affects navigation and hasn't been fixed yet. It has
>only similar, but not identical, symptoms:

>You wouldn't happen to have the wslu package installed, would you?
>When I try to use GIMP's help menu, GIMP installs wslu for me
>(despite not mentioning it as a dependency) which immediately
>cripples my machine (no navigation whatsoever) until it's removed.

No I don't but I have thought about an art package just not got there yet

I'm sort of fixed again, in a rare moment of (slightly) better broadband speed,
I tried the recovery option at boot, then fix broken packages, onlt took about
2.5 hours to download ~250mb and a while to unpack & install, then the system
worked again, ONLY it looks totally different, icons that I had on launcher (3
of them) were all gone, and a lot of new ones appeared, mainly LibreOffice
stuff (that were never installed before as I had done the minimal install),
home appeared on my desktop (not on launcher as before), external disks are now
only accessable from Files (not a simple click of tehicon on launcher) the old
power down button/icon (top right before) now brings up a choice of theme
colours, and a lot of other little things, I do now have a cog-wheel at login
that was not there before

Not sure if the display manager changed as I didn't really check which one was
in use before