systemd dependancies fail with latest 18.04 kernel update

Nataraj incoming-ubuntu at rjl.com
Tue May 31 21:38:17 UTC 2022

On 5/31/22 12:20 PM, Aaron Rainbolt wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 4:35 AM Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 May 2022 at 10:33, Nataraj <incoming-ubuntu at rjl.com> wrote:
>>> These problems are on a desktop install of 18.04 on  a Dell xps 13 9360..
>> That is a very old version now and near EOL.
>>
>>>  Systemd dependencies fail causing the system to boot into emergency mode when I update the kernel to vmlinuz-4.15.0-180-generic.
>> OK. Where did you get this kernel from? How did you install it?
>>
>> It's a very new kernel for a 4YO version of Ubuntu.
>>
>> If you need a newer kernel, it's time to update. You are 2 whole LTS
>> versions behind. If you are willing to upgrade bits of the OS, such as
>> the kernel, then why not update the whole thing?
> He's probably on the HWE kernel, if I were to guess. In fact, that may
> be part of the problem - I've had hardware just stop working after a
> kernel update while on the HWE kernel, and while I didn't try
> switching to the standard kernel (didn't know about it at the time), I
> bet it would have fixed the problem.

I thank everyone for their input.  As I mentioned in a previous post, to
the best of my knowledge I am running the currently released default
kernel from updates/main or security/main repository.  Unless there's
something I don't understand, I have not done anything to install a
non-default kernel.  See below.

:/etc/apt# apt-cache policy linux-image-4.15.0-180-generic
linux-image-4.15.0-180-generic:
  Installed: 4.15.0-180.189
  Candidate: 4.15.0-180.189
  Version table:
 *** 4.15.0-180.189 500
        500 http://mirrors.namecheap.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://mirrors.namecheap.com/ubuntu bionic-security/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Here's my /etc/apt/sources.list minus the comments...

/etc/apt# cat sources.list | egrep -v '^#'

deb http://mirrors.namecheap.com/ubuntu/ bionic main restricted
deb http://mirrors.namecheap.com/ubuntu/ bionic-updates main restricted
deb http://mirrors.namecheap.com/ubuntu/ bionic universe
deb http://mirrors.namecheap.com/ubuntu/ bionic-updates universe