systemd dependancies fail with latest 18.04 kernel update

Aaron Rainbolt arraybolt3 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 19:20:06 UTC 2022

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 4:35 AM Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 May 2022 at 10:33, Nataraj <incoming-ubuntu at rjl.com> wrote:
> >
> > These problems are on a desktop install of 18.04 on  a Dell xps 13 9360..
>
> That is a very old version now and near EOL.
>
> >  Systemd dependencies fail causing the system to boot into emergency mode when I update the kernel to vmlinuz-4.15.0-180-generic.
>
> OK. Where did you get this kernel from? How did you install it?
>
> It's a very new kernel for a 4YO version of Ubuntu.
>
> If you need a newer kernel, it's time to update. You are 2 whole LTS
> versions behind. If you are willing to upgrade bits of the OS, such as
> the kernel, then why not update the whole thing?

He's probably on the HWE kernel, if I were to guess. In fact, that may
be part of the problem - I've had hardware just stop working after a
kernel update while on the HWE kernel, and while I didn't try
switching to the standard kernel (didn't know about it at the time), I
bet it would have fixed the problem.