(not really solved) Re: (SOLVED) Re: Gnome control center crashes

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Fri Oct 4 12:34:48 UTC 2019

Am Donnerstag, den 03.10.2019, 01:42 +0200 schrieb Volker Wysk:
> Am Mittwoch, den 02.10.2019, 21:42 +0100 schrieb Colin Law:
> > On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 19:46, Volker Wysk <post at volker-wysk.de>
> > wrote:
> > > I need to completely deinstall what's in that PPA, and downgrade
> > > libglib2.0 to the version in Ubuntu 18.04.3. That should solve my
> > > gnome-control-center crash issue.
> >
> > sudo ppa-purge ppa:samvh/evolution-bionic-bp
>
> This wants to downgrade a lot of things, not just what is listed on
> the
> PPA's page, in the "Overview of published packages". And then, there
> comes a long message about broken dependencies, and of actions to
> resolve those dependencies. I've canceled the operation.
>
> Possibly ppa-purge wants to do the right thing, but I'm not sure.
>
> That's the page of that PPA:
> https://launchpad.net/~samvh/+archive/ubuntu/evolution-bionic-bp

I've studied the output of ppa-purge again, and came to new thoughts.

ppa-purge makes TWO calls to apt/apt-get/dpgk/whatever. What the first
call wants to do, looks relatively reasonable:

-----snip-----
Updating packages lists
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
debhelper is already the newest version (12.1.1ubuntu1~ubuntu18.04.1).
required:
  libblkid-dev libmount-dev libselinux1-dev libsepol1-dev uuid-dev
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
Suggested packages:
  evolution libglib2.0-doc
Recommended packages:
  git-buildpackage
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libcamel-1.2-62 libedata-cal-1.2-29 libedataserver-1.2-24
  libedata-cal-1.2-28
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
  evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common evolution-data-
server-dev
  gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-glib-2.0 gnome-pkg-tools libebackend-1.2-10
  libebook-1.2-19 libebook-contacts-1.2-2 libecal-1.2-19 libedata-book-
1.2-25
  libedataserverui-1.2-2 libgirepository-1.0-1 libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-
bin
  libglib2.0-data libglib2.0-dev libglib2.0-dev-bin
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 18 downgraded, 3 to remove and 2 not
upgraded.
Need to get 4367 kB of archives.
After this operation, 21.3 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.
-----snip-----

The second call is the messy one (see the attachment). I'm wondering if
this is because I answered "no" to the question "Do you want to
continue?", which is asked by the first call.

Another uncentainty is this, in the output of the first call:

required:  libblkid-dev libmount-dev libselinux1-dev libsepol1-dev
uuid-dev
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.

"sudo apt autoremove" does NOT remove them. It doesn't notify about
any "packages (that) were automatically installed". I'm wondering if
that message refers to the state AFTER the operation (the first call).

Bye
V.W.