Cellphone email (was: Re: old disk access

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Thu May 16 21:41:31 UTC 2019

Hi Mike,

There's a moral in this somewhere...if you need more than "bottom-rung"
email don't use browser-based email. Many like its so-called "convenience"
but the interfaces lack many of the controls provided by standalone MUAs
(email clients like Thunderbird, Claws, mutt, etc).

I'm not sure I easily understand the need for "structured" email properly.
That is, I don't seem to be able to see what problem it solves.

LaTeX is "just" a typesetter, but you are correct that it is intended for
typesetting a whole document, not document fragments, although there are
implementations which do that.

But you seem to be talking more about interactivity, and that's not goiong
to be LaTeX. The example you give can be achieved with raw Javascript, but
the frameworks are hopelessly version-unstable for an embedded solution.
Something like Saxon-CE or Saxon-JS would do it, but a big load if it's
invoked afresh on each email.

My own take would be to do that part on a web site, so you just put a link
in your email at each appropriate point. Modern wide screens can easily
have a browser window and a mailer window open side-by-side. I don't think
there is any traction in trying to get this functionality embedded in an MUA.

Peter