Cellphone email (was: Re: old disk access

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Thu May 16 18:41:31 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 04:01:25PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-05-16 at 15:52 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 May 2019 13:50:41 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
> > > Note to developers:I would pay real money for an Android MUA which
> > > worked like an MUA is supposed to

This topic recently came up on the Tex User's Group forum
as I was asking about latex like email formats. They have a
structure similarly machine readable to xml but if well written
the source code is also human readable. Earlier I was frustrated
with hotmail and gmail on a sub-Gb machine still not able to
imagine how email needs a Gb to work lol. Even on a 4Gb laptop
I never got outlook connector to work well with Outlook.

Anyway, the appeal of structured email to me was hierarchial
viewing that would put the most in a small screen and be easily
selectable. I'm not sure anything like that exists. I still
prefer only plain text and anything beyond that is "too much"
but I would tolerate some simple structure that makes
blocks viewable.

AFAICT latex is not designed for interactive viewing like this
but you could redefine blocks somewhat. I would for example
get a list of papers and want to see either all titles
or pick one block to expand to see and abstract. Scrolling
through a literature search may not sound like a big deal but
it can be and I think the idea could expand.

I never did a literature search on technology to facilitate
literature searches :) But if there is interest the latex
people may have some input.

I got my IMAP downloader to apparently work although it
took almost an hour for 25k or so messages from a hotmail
junk folder but it did seem to work. It was supposed to
save the attachments and the ones I looked at seemd
uncorrupted- the jpegs and pdfs displayed ok.

I did not want this to become a research project in itself
but now curious if I can make structured emails as examples.