Cellphone email (was: Re: old disk access

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri May 17 00:09:11 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 10:41:31PM +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> There's a moral in this somewhere...if you need more than "bottom-rung"
> email don't use browser-based email. Many like its so-called "convenience"
> but the interfaces lack many of the controls provided by standalone MUAs
> (email clients like Thunderbird, Claws, mutt, etc).
>
> I'm not sure I easily understand the need for "structured" email properly.
> That is, I don't seem to be able to see what problem it solves.
>
> LaTeX is "just" a typesetter, but you are correct that it is intended for
> typesetting a whole document, not document fragments, although there are
> implementations which do that.
>
> But you seem to be talking more about interactivity, and that's not goiong
> to be LaTeX. The example you give can be achieved with raw Javascript, but
> the frameworks are hopelessly version-unstable for an embedded solution.
> Something like Saxon-CE or Saxon-JS would do it, but a big load if it's
> invoked afresh on each email.

I like the latex source code format as simple things are human readable
but the point is to get logical structure to the document not layout
structure. The browser has many drawbacks but the big problem is
that the source code for the message is oriented towards document
layout rather than organization. There is no inherent barrier to making
a "\widget{}" with visibility control. An alternative may be XML
except that is so cumbersome it misses the human readability
criteria vs good latex.

In any case if there is interest in better email, the latex users
may be intersted and as you suggest it may not be obvious. Compiling
a latex document is slow and not the first thing you think of for
user interaction. However, the basics seem good.

As an example, I just took one message and made it look more logical.
This is a literature update with latex like groups and presumably the viewer could
turn off the boilerplate and abstract blocks for example,
cat mail_clip_file.txt  | gawk -f pubmed.awk  |  more
\header{ ***************** MESSAGE 134
My NCBI <efback at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov>+Tue, 14 May 2019 06:08:32 -0400 (EDT)++text/html; charset="UTF-8"+text/html+What's new for 'interfe
ron' in PubMed+