19.04 in virtualbox

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri May 3 10:23:04 UTC 2019

On Fri, 3 May 2019 12:05:51 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Fri, 03 May 2019 09:44:16 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>>Am Donnerstag, den 02.05.2019, 17:34 -0700 schrieb David L:
>>> Base memory: 1024 MB
>>
>>this is definitely not enough for running and using a full Ubuntu
>>desktop ... try at least 2G, better 4 ... (not sure if this is related
>>to your high CPU usage though, this might be an additional issue)
>
>Hi,
>
>allocating that much RAM is unneeded. It gains absolutely nothing. I'm
>running a Windows 7 guest with 512 MB base memory + 39 MB video memory
>and a Windows XP guest with 162 MB base memory + 30 MB video memory. My
>machine has got 8 GiB of RAM nowadays, but my old machine only had 4
>GiB, while by default half of the RAM is used for tmpfs and assuming
>the graphics doesn't have it's own memory, since it might be an
>integrated graphics, some memory is needed for the frame buffer. IOW my
>old machine had only around 2 GiB and my new machine has got only
>around 4 GiB of available RAM for everything, hence allocating that
>much RAM to a VirtualBox guest as suggested by you, would be
>impossible, even if it would gain something.
>
>_The host should always have more available memory, than a guest._
>
>I'm booted to my Arch Linux install, but it looks more or less equal
>for my Ubuntu install, just that for Ubuntu /tmp is on the SSD, not
>tmpfs.
>
>[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ hwinfo --memory | grep Size
>  Memory Size: 7 GB + 512 MB
>[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ hwinfo --gfxcard | grep Device | head -1
>  Device: pci 0x0402 "Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor
> Integrated Graphics Controller"
>[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ df -h | grep tmpfs
>tmpfs           3.9G   47M  3.8G   2% /dev/shm
>tmpfs           3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
>tmpfs           3.9G   12K  3.9G   1% /tmp
>tmpfs           786M  100K  785M   1% /run/user/1000

PS: It's possible to allocate a wanted amount of memory to tmpfs by
an /etc/fstab entry. "n" needs to be replaced by a number.

tmpfs          /tmp            tmpfs nodev,nosuid,size=nG     0 0

I wonder how much RAM people nowadays usually have, if they are able to
consider to allocate 2 or 4 GiB to a guest. A machine with 8 GiB, such
as mine machine, does not have enough RAM to allow a guest using that
much memory, for the already explained reasons. Keep in mind, if the
host becomes unresponsive, the guest automatically becomes
unresponsive, too ;).