19.04 in virtualbox

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri May 3 10:05:51 UTC 2019

On Fri, 03 May 2019 09:44:16 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>Am Donnerstag, den 02.05.2019, 17:34 -0700 schrieb David L:
>> Base memory: 1024 MB
>
>this is definitely not enough for running and using a full Ubuntu
>desktop ... try at least 2G, better 4 ... (not sure if this is related
>to your high CPU usage though, this might be an additional issue)

Hi,

allocating that much RAM is unneeded. It gains absolutely nothing. I'm
running a Windows 7 guest with 512 MB base memory + 39 MB video memory
and a Windows XP guest with 162 MB base memory + 30 MB video memory. My
machine has got 8 GiB of RAM nowadays, but my old machine only had 4
GiB, while by default half of the RAM is used for tmpfs and assuming
the graphics doesn't have it's own memory, since it might be an
integrated graphics, some memory is needed for the frame buffer. IOW my
old machine had only around 2 GiB and my new machine has got only
around 4 GiB of available RAM for everything, hence allocating that
much RAM to a VirtualBox guest as suggested by you, would be
impossible, even if it would gain something.

_The host should always have more available memory, than a guest._

I'm booted to my Arch Linux install, but it looks more or less equal
for my Ubuntu install, just that for Ubuntu /tmp is on the SSD, not
tmpfs.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ hwinfo --memory | grep Size
  Memory Size: 7 GB + 512 MB
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ hwinfo --gfxcard | grep Device | head -1
  Device: pci 0x0402 "Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller"
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ df -h | grep tmpfs
tmpfs           3.9G   47M  3.8G   2% /dev/shm
tmpfs           3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           3.9G   12K  3.9G   1% /tmp
tmpfs           786M  100K  785M   1% /run/user/1000

Regards,
Ralf