OT: greenish area in new monitor

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Wed May 1 17:26:39 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 01, 2019 at 06:56:51PM +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> (I am asking here also to have "language support", because I have no
> idea which kind of keywords I should put in search engines to get
> results relevant to the issue below...)
>
> I am running Ubuntu 16.04LTS on a box with on-board graphic controller
> (output of lspci is below).
>
> Yesterday my monitor broke. Being in a hurry to finish a deadline, I
> borrowed from a friend an unused HP 23bw ISP monitor, which as far as
> he remembers had no problem whatsoever.

How do you know your monitor broke and not the computer?
If this was sitting around for a while you could suspect dust
and humidity/condensation or corrosion- in the past I've used a leaf blower
successfully, no joke. IIRC I had a CRT that just had to warm up
and presumably dry out.

> I plugged connected this monitor to the computer with the HDMI cable,
> and found a problem.  Considering the screen divided in three vertical

How was your old monitor connected, same graphics card and connector?