OT: greenish area in new monitor

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Wed May 1 16:56:51 UTC 2019

Hello all,

(I am asking here also to have "language support", because I have no
idea which kind of keywords I should put in search engines to get
results relevant to the issue below...)

I am running Ubuntu 16.04LTS on a box with on-board graphic controller
(output of lspci is below).

Yesterday my monitor broke. Being in a hurry to finish a deadline, I
borrowed from a friend an unused HP 23bw ISP monitor, which as far as
he remembers had no problem whatsoever.

I plugged connected this monitor to the computer with the HDMI cable,
and found a problem.  Considering the screen divided in three vertical
stripes of the same size, the rightmost one is OK, ie a terminal with
white background IS white. In the leftmost stripe, the same terminal
has a faint greenish tone, and instead of being one color, looks like
ruled paper, with VERY, very thin and very close horizontal lines. The
middle stripe is a "transition" area, ie you see the terminal
background change as above gradually, as you move it from right to
left. Text in terminals or browser/libreoffice windows is very sharp.

My questions:

1) is this surely a hardware problem that, for whatever reason
happened just now, and if so which one? If not, is it something that
can be corrected by monitor settings or from Ubuntu?

2) if it *is* a hardware problem, any idea if it will get worst by
*continuing* to use* the monitor? I could live with this problem for a
week or two, before shopping for a new monitor, or borrowing another
one (I really hate to see working hardware unused, regardless of
money...)

any comment and suggestion is very welcome!

#> lspci | grep ' VGA ' | cut -d" " -f 1 | xargs -i lspci -v -s {}
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS780L [Radeon 3000] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] RS780L [Radeon 3000]
Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
Memory at febe0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Memory at fea00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: radeon
Kernel modules: radeon

--